When planning a camping trip a few years back, I looked for recipes that could be made ahead of time for quick eating later. This filling sandwich was the perfect solution.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 round loaf (1 pound) sourdough bread
- 1/2 cup refried beans
- 4 ounces sliced Colby cheese
- 1 small sweet red pepper, sliced
- 4 ounces sliced Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 small tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 2 tablespoons ranch salad dressing
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
- 4 ounces sliced cheddar cheese
- Cut the top fourth off loaf of bread. Carefully hollow out top and bottom of loaf, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. (Discard removed bread or save for another use.) Set top aside.
- Spread refried beans inside bottom of shell. Layer with the Colby cheese, red pepper, Monterey Jack cheese, chilies, olives and tomato. Gently press layers together to flatten as needed.
- Combine cheese blend and ranch dressing; spoon over tomato. Top with avocado and cheddar cheese. Replace bread top and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Chill.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 609 calories, 34g fat (17g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 1210mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 6g fiber), 26g protein.
Originally published as Fiesta Loaf in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook