I like to break away from traditional breakfast bakes, so I experimented and came up with this sweet-savory cornbread and sausage egg bake. It's easy to prepare and a wonderful make-ahead morning meal.—Ellen Woodham-Johnson, Matteson, Illinois
Featured In: 50 Hearty Breakfast Casseroles
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cups cubed corn bread
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 1-1/4 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain.
- In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer half of each of the following: corn bread, sausage mixture, corn and cheese. Repeat layers. In a small bowl, whisk eggs, milk, salsa and sour cream. Pour over layers. Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325°. Remove strata from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, uncovered, 50-60 minutes or until golden brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Fiesta Corn Bread & Sausage Strata in Breakfast & Brunch Bookazine 2014, p43