Fiesta Chicken Bundles for Two
I love to make this chicken dish because while it bakes, I can take a siesta before the fiesta! I dreamed it up when I was on vacation and had limited ingredients. It’s packed with great flavor. —Merry Graham, Newhall, California
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (6 ounces each)
- 2 corn tortillas (6 inches), chopped
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) pepper Jack cheese
- 2/3 cup salsa verde, divided
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 4-1/2 teaspoons orange marmalade
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 can (15 ounces) Southwestern black beans, warmed
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- Flatten chicken breasts to 1/4-in. thickness; set aside. In a small bowl, combine the tortillas, cheese and 1/3 cup salsa verde. Spoon tortilla mixture down the center of each chicken breast; roll up and secure with toothpicks.
- Combine cornmeal and garlic salt in a shallow bowl; coat chicken with cornmeal mixture.
- In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil. Add the water, marmalade, chili powder and remaining salsa to the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook until a thermometer reads 170°, 15-20 minutes. Discard toothpicks.
- Serve chicken with beans; top with sour cream and cilantro.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 707 calories, 21g fat (6g saturated fat), 119mg cholesterol, 1300mg sodium, 71g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 16g fiber), 55g protein.
Originally published as Fiesta Siesta Chicken Bundles in Taste of Home April/May 2011