VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 medium unpeeled potatoes
- 4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 4 cups ice water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Using a vegetable peeler or metal cheese slicer, cut potatoes into very thin lengthwise strips. Place in a large bowl; add 3 teaspoons salt and ice water. Soak for 30 minutes; drain.
- Place potatoes on paper towels and pat dry. In a small bowl, combine the chili powder, garlic salt, parsley, cayenne and remaining salt; set aside.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Cook potatoes in oil in batches for 2-3 minutes or until deep golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Immediately sprinkle with reserved seasoning mixture. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 10 cups.
Originally published as Serpent Tongue Potatoes in Taste of Home's Halloween Annual 2006, p22