Fiery Potato Chips
Seasoned with chili powder and cayenne pepper, these paper-thin chips are surefire crowd-pleasers.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + soaking Cook: 5 min./batch
- 4 medium unpeeled potatoes
- 4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 4 cups ice water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Using a vegetable peeler or metal cheese slicer, cut potatoes into very thin lengthwise strips. Place in a large bowl; add 3 teaspoons salt and ice water. Soak for 30 minutes; drain.
- Place potatoes on paper towels and pat dry. In a small bowl, combine the chili powder, garlic salt, parsley, cayenne and remaining salt; set aside.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Cook potatoes in oil in batches for 2-3 minutes or until deep golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Immediately sprinkle with reserved seasoning mixture. Store in an airtight container.
Originally published as Fiery Potato Flames in Taste of Home Halloween Party Favorites 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.