Feta Zucchini Pancakes
Guests at our farmhouse bed and breakfast see zucchini in our garden one day and savor it in these moist and flavorful pancakes the next. They make a refreshing side dish and a unique use for excess zucchini.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 eggs, separated
- 4 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint or 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the egg yolks, zucchini, feta cheese, onions, flour, mint, salt and pepper; fold in egg whites.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 teaspoons of oil over medium heat; drop four 1/3 cupfuls of batter into skillet. Fry for 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Repeat, making two more batches with remaining oil and batter.
Nutrition Facts3 each: 285 calories, 17g fat (6g saturated fat), 228mg cholesterol, 638mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 15g protein.
Originally published as Zucchini Feta Pancakes in Country Woman July/August 2006