My son-in-law gave me this recipe and I tweaked it to make it healthier. The burgers are so quick to whip up on the grill on busy nights. —Dolores Block, Frankenmuth, Michigan
Featured In: 34 Incredible Burgers to Grill This Summer
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3 Italian turkey sausage links (4 ounces each), casings removed
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 large portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 6 tablespoons crumbled feta or blue cheese
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns or sourdough rolls, split
- 10 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Combine first four ingredients; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into six 1/2-in.-thick patties. Mix vinegar and oil; brush over mushrooms.
- Place burgers, mushrooms and onion on an oiled grill rack over medium heat. Grill, covered, over medium heat 4-6 minutes per side or until a thermometer inserted in burger reads 165° and mushrooms and onion are tender.
- Fill mushroom caps with cheese; grill, covered, until cheese is melted, 1-2 minutes. Grill buns, cut side down, until toasted, 30-60 seconds. Serve burgers on buns; top with mushrooms, basil and onion. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Feta Mushroom Burgers in Light Recipes 2015, p64