I found an old recipe for cucumber balls that I converted to a whole cheese ball. The light and refreshing flavor has made it one of my favorites. I've made variations on it for three different holidays —the 4th of July version with tomato and basil was gone by the end of the day! —Shelly Bevington, Hermiston, Oregon
Recommended: 32 Must-Try Summer Dinners for Two
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 package (4 ounces) crumbled tomato and basil feta cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup peeled, seeded and finely chopped cucumber
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 24 fresh basil leaves
- 24 toothpicks
- In a small bowl, mix cream cheese, feta cheese and salt until blended. Stir in cucumber. Refrigerate, covered, 30 minutes.
- Shape tablespoonfuls of cheese mixture into balls. Roll in walnuts. Thread a folded basil leaf and cheese ball on each toothpick. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Feta-Cucumber Cheese Balls in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2017, p222