Feta Breakfast Bake
Guests at our family's bed-and-breakfast love this easy-prep brunch item. You can try several variations of the egg dish with your favorite types of cheese. Add a sprig of oregano as a pretty garnish.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour + standing
- 4 cups seasoned salad croutons
- 1-1/2 cups crumbled feta cheese
- 8 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- In a large bowl, combine croutons and feta cheese; transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, basil, oregano and pepper. Slowly pour over crouton mixture. Sprinkle with ham.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 60-65 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 193 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 146mg cholesterol, 519mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 12g protein.
Originally published as Barnyard Eggs in Country Woman November/December 2005