Festive Tossed Salad
I STILL do a lot of cooking even though the numbers have changed. I owe my discovery of this salad to my sister-in-law, a Louisiana native and a fabulous cook. It's always a hit with everyone—pretty to serve, adaptable to any number and tasty, too. —Ruby Williams Bogalusa, Louisiana
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Dash salt
- 2 to 3 cups torn salad greens
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup mandarin oranges
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds, toasted
- In a small bowl, whisk the first six ingredients; set aside. In a salad bowl, toss the greens, celery, carrot, onions and oranges. Add dressing and toss to coat; sprinkle with almonds. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 243 calories, 15g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 122mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 4g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Festive Tossed Salad in Reminisce Extra December 1996