Festive Three-Grain Salad
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 1 hour + cooling
- 3/4 cup uncooked wheat berries
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 cup uncooked medium pearl barley
- 1/3 cup uncooked long grain brown rice
- 1 medium apple, chopped
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds, dried cherries or dried cranberries
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 to 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, combine wheat berries and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10 minutes. Stir in barley; simmer, covered, 5 minutes. Stir in rice; simmer, covered, 40-45 minutes or until grains are tender. Drain; transfer to a large bowl. Cool to room temperature.
- Add apple, pomegranate seeds, green onions, carrot, celery and parsley to wheat berry mixture; toss to combine. In a small bowl, whisk dressing ingredients until blended. Pour over salad; toss to coat. Serve immediately or refrigerate and serve cold.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 219 calories, 6g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 180mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 6g fiber), 5g protein.
Jan 22, 2019
Unique; I like it, could probably grow fond of it if I ate it enough. The parsley is most pronounced and the wheat berries their chewiest before any meld time in the refrigerator. I had just 1/3 cup dried cherries on hand and my carrot was shredded, also went with the 2 Tbsp sugar choice. This would probably rate a 5 star in nutritional value.