Festive Tea Sandwiches
These delicate sandwiches were the memorable first course at a Victorian tea we held for the ladies of our congregation. A spread that combines mayonnaise, pecans and cranberries is the perfect complement of the chicken.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 16 slices bread, crusts removed
- 16 to 24 thin slices cooked chicken
- 8 lettuce leaves
- Combine the first five ingredients; spread on one side of each slice of bread. Layer half the slices with chicken and lettuce. Top with remaining bread. Cut into quarters or decorative shapes.
Editor's Note: Chive butter may be used in place of the cranberry mayonnaise. Beat 1/2 cup softened butter or margarine, 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice and 1/8 teaspoon of pepper until fluffy; stir in 2 tablespoons minced chives.
Nutrition Facts4 each: 181 calories, 13g fat (2g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 279mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Festive Tea Sandwiches in Taste of Home December/January 1997