Adding delightful dimension to a holiday cookie assortment, these clever interlocking Christmas stars are shared by Caren Zimmerman of Franklin, Wisconsin. See the illustrations below for their easy assembly.
Recommended: 11 Santa-Shaped Treats
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup red colored sugar
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Chill for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. five-point star-shaped cookie cutter. Cut a vertical slit between two points on each star to just above the center; spread dough apart to form a 1/4-in. opening.
- Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with colored sugar. Bake at 400° for 6-7 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Assemble by placing two stars together at slits. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Originally published as Festive Stars in Taste of Home December/January 2007, p7
Reviews forFestive Stars
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 8, 2012
"looks impressive, tastes great."