"When I don't have enough time to make spaghetti sauce from scratch, I dress up a store-bought jar with fresh vegetables and frozen meatballs," says Mary Ann Kosmas of Minneapolis, Minnesota. "A touch of wine makes it special."
Recommended: 37 Marvelous Meatball Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large green pepper, julienned
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup red wine or water
- 1 jar (26 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen cooked Italian meatballs
- 1 package (16 ounces) spaghetti
- In a large saucepan, saute the mushrooms, green pepper and onion in oil until crisp-tender; stir in wine or water. Bring to a boil; cook for 2 minutes. stir in spaghetti sauce and meatballs. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until meatballs are heated through. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Serve meatballs and sauce over spaghetti. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Festive Spaghetti N Meatballs in Quick Cooking January/February 2004, p52