- 1 cup butter (no substitutes), softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 teaspoons shortening
- 3/4 cup ground walnuts
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar. Add vanilla. Gradually add flour; mix well.
- With lightly floured hands, shape tablespoonfuls into 2-in. logs. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 9-11 minutes or until edges and bottom are lightly browned. Cool for 2-3 minutes before removing to wire racks.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle chocolate over half of the cookies. Dip one end of remaining cookies into chocolate, then sprinkle with walnuts. Yield: 4 dozen.
Reviews forFestive Shortbread Logs
"I loved this recipe as a basic recipe but wanted more flavor in the cookie itself. So, to the cookie batter, I added 1/2 t. ground nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/4 cup finely ground pecans or pecans, and an additional 1 t. vanilla extract. It doesn't make the cookie spicy, it just gives it a bump. I increased the baking time to 12 to 13 minutes because I was finding that the centers were not fully cooked and that isn't appealing in a shortbread cookie. For the chocolate mixture, I used half semi-sweet chunks and 1/2 special dark morsels. To make it a smoother consistency, I also added 1/4 to 1/2 cup of whole milk and 1 teaspoon vanilla to the chocolate before melting. I did melt it in the microwave but found it cooled to fast while dipping so kept my glass bowl sitting in a hot pan of water. For the ground nuts, I substituted pecans and added in 1/4 cup toffee morsels."