Festive Roast Chicken
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 2-1/4 hours + standing
Makes6 servings (5 cups gravy)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 5 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary, divided
- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 medium apples, peeled and cubed
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- In a small bowl, combine butter and 3 teaspoons rosemary. Place chicken, breast side up, on a rack in a roasting pan; tie drumsticks together with kitchen string. Rub butter mixture over chicken; sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a large bowl, combine the apples, onion, cranberries, 3/4 cup broth, lemon juice, garlic, ginger and 1 teaspoon rosemary; place around chicken.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour. Pour apple juice over chicken. Bake 1-1/4 to 1-3/4 hours longer or until a thermometer reads 180°, basting every 30 minutes. Cover loosely with foil if chicken browns too quickly. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes before carving chicken.
- Pour drippings and apple mixture into a blender; skim fat. Cover and process until blended. Transfer to a large saucepan. Stir in the vinegar, honey and remaining broth and rosemary; heat through. Serve with chicken.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 731 calories, 39g fat (14g saturated fat), 199mg cholesterol, 626mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 3g fiber), 58g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 26, 2010
This was very good! It made a lot of sauce, so I was able to freeze some leftover sauce. Also added some cornstarch to thicken it. The butter/rosemary rub made a beautifully browned, moist chicken.