Festive Poppy Seed Scones
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk the egg, orange juice and buttermilk; add to crumb mixture just until moistened. Stir in cranberries and orange zest.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; gently knead 6-8 times. Divide dough in half. Pat each portion into a 6-in. circle. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Cut each circle into six wedges, but do not separate.
- Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 197 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 253mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Feb 13, 2011
Had a little trouble with the kneading the dough, as it was very wet and sticky. But was very satisfied with the scone.
Apr 6, 2009
this recipe was wonderful..thank you
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.