- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk the egg, orange juice and buttermilk; add to crumb mixture just until moistened. Stir in cranberries and orange zest.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; gently knead 6-8 times. Divide dough in half. Pat each portion into a 6-in. circle. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Cut each circle into six wedges, but do not separate.
- Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews forFestive Poppy Seed Scones
"Had a little trouble with the kneading the dough, as it was very wet and sticky. But was very satisfied with the scone."
"this recipe was wonderful..thank you"