Festive Pineapple Boat
"My fondest childhood memories are centered in the kitchen with my mother," recounts Susan Phelan of Tallahassee, Florida. Reminiscent of one her mother taught her, this recipe is one she relishes sharing with her family.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 large fresh ripe pineapple
- 2 medium firm bananas, sliced
- 2 kiwifruit, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped pecans
- Dash ground cinnamon
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons sweetened shredded coconut
- Fresh strawberries, optional
- Stand pineapple up and cut about a third off of one side, leaving the top attached. Remove fruit from the piece cut off and discard outer peel. Remove fruit from the remaining pineapple, leaving a 1/2-in. shell intact. Cut pineapple into bite-size pieces; toss with bananas and kiwi. Spoon into "boat".
- Combine brown sugar, pecans, cinnamon and nutmeg; sprinkle over fruit. Sprinkle with coconut. Garnish with strawberries if desired. Serve immediately.
Originally published as Festive Pineapple Boat in Crafting Traditions Premiere 1995
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.