Festive Peas and Onions
The first time I tried this recipe, my friend finished half of it while my back was turned! That was over 30 years ago, but the dish is just as popular today.
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen pearl onions
- 2 cups water
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, divided
- 1/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Prepare onions according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup liquid. In a large bowl, combine the onions, peas, soup, 2 tablespoons pimientos and reserved cooking liquid; stir to coat. Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese and remaining pimientos. Bake 5 minutes longer or until the cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 131 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 463mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Festive Peas and Onions in Country Woman Christmas 1999