Festive Napoleons with Thyme Cream
With the assembly required, we save these Napoleons for special occasions, but they're absolutely worth it. I like to experiment with unusual seasonings and thyme adds a surprising twist that works well with the honey and fruit." –Bridget Klusman, Otsego, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 5 large egg whites
- 1 cup turbinado (washed raw) sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons walnut or canola oil
- 1-2/3 cups chopped walnuts, toasted
- CRANBERRY FILLING:
- 4 tangerines
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup turbinado (washed raw) sugar
- THYME CREAM:
- 1 carton (8 ounces) mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup (8 ounces) plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- Additional chopped toasted walnuts
- In a small bowl, beat the egg whites, sugar, vanilla and salt until foamy. Gradually beat in flour. Beat in butter and oil. Fold in walnuts.
- With a pencil, draw five 3-in. circles on a sheet of parchment paper. Place paper, pencil mark down, on a baking sheet. Spread a heaping tablespoonful of batter over each circle. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Repeat with remaining batter, making 30 cookies.
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove peel from one tangerine; set aside. Peel and seed remaining tangerines and place in a food processor. Add the cranberries, sugar and reserved tangerine peel. Cover and process until chopped. Transfer to a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat until thickened, about 10 minutes. Cool.
- For thyme cream, beat the cheese, yogurt, honey and thyme until thickened. Place one cookie on a small plate. Spread with 1 tablespoon cranberry filling and 1 tablespoon thyme cream. Repeat layers twice. Repeat with remaining cookies, cranberry filling and thyme cream. Sprinkle with additional walnuts.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 655 calories, 42g fat (16g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 198mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (47g sugars, 4g fiber), 10g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Cranberry-Tangerine Napoleons with Thyme Cream in Taste of Home December/January 2011