This recipe can't be beat for a vegetable dish that sports the colors of the season and gets people coming back for seconds. This is a side dish my whole family enjoys. It is made with Mexican-style stewed tomatoes or salsa, it has zip.—Frances Janssen, Canyon Lake, Texas
Recommended: 62 Christmas Potluck Sides for 12 or More
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound fresh green beans or 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut green beans, drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 cup Mexican stewed tomatoes or chunky salsa
- Cut beans into 2-in. pieces; place in a saucepan. Add water and salt if desired; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes or until tender; drain. Add the pepper, garlic powder and tomatoes; heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Festive Green Beans in Taste of Home December/January 1996, p11
Reviews forFestive Green Beans
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 11, 2010
"Tastes great & low carb!! I sometimes use frozen grean breans and / or regular stewed tomatoes."