Festive Green Bean Casserole
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 packages (16 ounces each) frozen French-style green beans, thawed and drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a skillet, saute red pepper and onion in butter until tender. Add soup, milk, Worcestershire sauce and hot pepper sauce; stir until smooth. Stir in beans and water chestnuts.
- Transfer to an ungreased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 144 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 404mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 22, 2012
Followed the instructions exactly, but this recipe was VERY bland. It was basically tasteless and unappetizing. I ended up adding practically 10 times more Worcestershire and some seasoned salt and some soy sauce and it was *better* but I still won't make this one again. Ever! I was hoping it'd be close to the one my mother in law makes at holidays which also calls for Worcestershire and water chestnuts, but I'll just have to ask her for her recipe because this was is just not worth it! Also, once I added green beans the flavor of everything else was completely drowned out, there are way too many green beans that it leaves little flavor from the other ingredients. AND I only had 12 oz bags of green beans! AND I only added 1.5 from those two smaller bags.
Oct 6, 2010
Made this for Thanksgiving last year and gonna do it again!
Nov 13, 2009
Very nice...looks good taste great and easy to prepare!