- 1 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 packages (16 ounces each) frozen French-style green beans, thawed and drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a skillet, saute red pepper and onion in butter until tender. Add soup, milk, Worcestershire sauce and hot pepper sauce; stir until smooth. Stir in beans and water chestnuts. Transfer to an ungreased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forFestive Green Bean Casserole
"Followed the instructions exactly, but this recipe was VERY bland. It was basically tasteless and unappetizing. I ended up adding practically 10 times more Worcestershire and some seasoned salt and some soy sauce and it was *better* but I still won't make this one again. Ever! I was hoping it'd be close to the one my mother in law makes at holidays which also calls for Worcestershire and water chestnuts, but I'll just have to ask her for her recipe because this was is just not worth it! Also, once I added green beans the flavor of everything else was completely drowned out, there are way too many green beans that it leaves little flavor from the other ingredients. AND I only had 12 oz bags of green beans! AND I only added 1.5 from those two smaller bags."
"Made this for Thanksgiving last year and gonna do it again!"
"Very nice...looks good taste great and easy to prepare!"