Festive Corn Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 55 min.
Makes8-10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of corn soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red or cayenne pepper
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Cooked rice
- In a Dutch oven, stir flour and oil until smooth. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is a light reddish-brown, about 10-15 minutes. Stir in the onion, celery, green pepper, green onions and garlic. Cook over medium heat until the vegetables are just crisp-tender, about 5 minutes, stirring often. Stir in the broth, soup, tomatoes and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Add shrimp; cook for about 10 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaf. Stir in parsley. Serve soup in bowls over rice.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 185 calories, 12g fat (2g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 627mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 11g protein.
Aug 21, 2013
This was delicious, My husband said one of the best soups I ever made. I used fresh corn off the cob ( worth it ) And added about a half pound of chicken i had left over from the grill, a little extra chicken broth, about 1/2 a cup. Will make again
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.