VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- Red nonpareils
- In a saucepan, combine butter and brown sugar. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until butter is melted. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cool for 15 minutes. Stir in egg.
- Combine the flour, cocoa and salt; add to butter mixture. Fold in walnuts. Cover and chill for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. heart-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 9-10 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For topping, in a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening over low heat; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. With a small spatula, spread a thin layer of chocolate mixture around edges of cookies; sprinkle with nonpareils. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Originally published as Festive Chocolate Hearts in Best-Loved Cookies & Bars 2009 2009, p87