Festive Cherry Tomatoes
These red and green delights look so festive when served at holiday parties. I found a version of this recipe years ago, but I created a lighter version by mixing peas with avocado and adding chipotle peppers for an added kick.—Lori Merrick, Danvers, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 45 min.
- 48 cherry tomatoes
- 2-1/4 cups frozen peas (about 9 ounces), thawed
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro, divided
- Using a sharp knife, cut a thin slice from the top and bottom of each tomato. Scoop out pulp; invert onto paper towels to drain.
- Place peas in a food processor; cover and process until almost smooth. In a small bowl, mash avocado with a fork; add pureed peas, yogurt, lime juice, 1 tablespoon cilantro, chipotle pepper and salt.
- Place pea mixture in a resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of bag. Pipe mixture into tomatoes; sprinkle with remaining cilantro. Refrigerate until serving.
Nutrition Facts1 appetizer: 16 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 35mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Stuffed Cherry Tomatoes in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.