Festive Cherry Tomatoes
These red and green delights look so festive when served at holiday parties. I found a version of this recipe years ago, but I created a lighter version by mixing peas with avocado and adding chipotle peppers for an added kick.—Lori Merrick, Danvers, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 45 min.
- 48 cherry tomatoes
- 2-1/4 cups frozen peas (about 9 ounces), thawed
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro, divided
- Using a sharp knife, cut a thin slice from the top and bottom of each tomato. Scoop out pulp; invert onto paper towels to drain.
- Place peas in a food processor; cover and process until almost smooth. In a small bowl, mash avocado with a fork; add pureed peas, yogurt, lime juice, 1 tablespoon cilantro, chipotle pepper and salt.
- Place pea mixture in a resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of bag. Pipe mixture into tomatoes; sprinkle with remaining cilantro. Refrigerate until serving.
Nutrition Facts1 appetizer: 16 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 35mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Stuffed Cherry Tomatoes in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2016