These red and green delights look so festive when served at holiday parties. I found a version of this recipe years ago, but I created a lighter version by mixing peas with avocado and adding chipotle peppers for an added kick.—Lori Merrick, Danvers, Illinois
Recommended: 30 Fresh Tomato Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 48 cherry tomatoes
- 2-1/4 cups frozen peas (about 9 ounces), thawed
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro, divided
- Using a sharp knife, cut a thin slice from the top and bottom of each tomato. Scoop out pulp; invert onto paper towels to drain.
- Place peas in a food processor; cover and process until almost smooth. In a small bowl, mash avocado with a fork; add pureed peas, yogurt, lime juice, 1 tablespoon cilantro, chipotle pepper and salt.
- Place pea mixture in a resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of bag. Pipe mixture into tomatoes; sprinkle with remaining cilantro. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Festive Cherry Tomatoes in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes Annual 2016, p18