Over the years, these buttery cheese treats have been a handy standby at our house. I often have some extra batches in the freezer that I can pop in the oven whenever company comes calling. Usually guests are reluctant to take the last one on the tray, but not these!
Recommended: Holiday Cheesecake Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 unsliced loaf (1 pound) Italian bread
- 1 block (8 ounces) cheddar cheese, cubed
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, cubed
- 1 cup butter or margarine, cubed
- 4 egg whites
- Cut bread into 1-in. cubes; set aside. In a saucepan over low heat, melt the cheeses and butter. In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into cheese mixture. Dip bread cubes into cheese mixture. Place on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: about 10 dozen.
Originally published as Festive Cheese Bites in Country Woman Christmas Annual 1999, p22