- 1 large head cauliflower (2 pounds), cut into florets
- 1/4 cup diced green pepper
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- Cook cauliflower in boiling salted water until crisp-tender; drain. Place in a greased 8-in. square baking dish. In a saucepan over medium heat, saute green pepper and mushrooms in butter until tender. Add flour and salt; stir to form a smooth paste. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more or until thickened. Remove from the heat; add pimientos. Stir in 3/4 cup cheese until melted; pour over cauliflower. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; return to the oven, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forFestive Cauliflower Casserole
"I hadn't made this casserole in years, but it was requested at my family's Thanksgiving feast. I was a little worried that it wouldn't reheat well after reading one of the reviews. I normally make and serve this right away. I decided to put this together the day before Thanksgiving and bake the day of. It turned out wonderful and there were no leftovers. I think I will try this again for Christmas dinner using pepper jack cheese."
"This. Is really good. I made it last Christmas and will make it again."
"Like the name says, this casserole looks very festive with the green pepper and pimientos. I don't like jar mushrooms, so I sauteed 8 oz of sliced baby bellas. That turned out to be a little too much, so if you make that substitution only use 4 oz. Note that the casserole doesn't reheat very well since it gets a little watery from the cauliflower."