Festive Biscuit Strips
Many people —especially children—don't care for fruitcake, so I came up with this sweet biscuit recipe. A few years ago these strips earned high honors in a recipe contest sponsored by a local newspaper. —Tena Huckleby, Greenville, Tennessee
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup cold butter
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped navel orange
- 1/4 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped red maraschino cherries
- 1/4 cup chopped green maraschino cherries
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 4 teaspoons milk
- In a large bowl, combine flours and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add milk, stirring with a fork until mixture forms a soft dough. Fold in the cranberries, orange, pineapple and cherries.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 4-5 times. Pat into a 13-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Cut into 3-in. x 1-in. strips; place on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 425° for 11-5 minutes or until golden brown. Combine icing ingredients; drizzle over strips. Serve warm.
Editor's NoteAs a substitute for each cup of self-rising flour, place 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a measuring cup. Add all-purpose flour to measure 1 cup.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.