Festive Almond Blondies
Short on time during the holiday season? Mix up the dough for almond blondies and pop them in the oven. To add Christmas color, I sprinkle on red and green sugar before baking.—Betsy King, Duluth, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unblanched almonds, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons each red and green colored sugars
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and extract. In a small bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture, mixing well.
- Spread into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with almonds, cinnamon and sugars. Bake 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Store in an airtight container. Freeze option: Freeze bars, layered between waxed paper, in freezer containers. To use, thaw before serving.
Originally published as Brown Sugar Sparklers in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.