Fennel Stuffed Cod
Moist fish, a super stuffing and a creamy sauce make for a memorable main dish. —Mary Ellen Wilcox, Brant Lake, New York
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 30 min.
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2-1/4 cups finely chopped fennel fronds, divided
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced chives
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 to 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 cups unseasoned stuffing cubes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cod or flounder fillets (1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 medium lemon, sliced
- For sauce, combine the yogurt, 1/4 cup of fennel, lemon juice, chives, salt if desired and pepper in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- In a large skillet, saute celery and onion in oil until tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in the croutons, broth, eggs and remaining fennel.
- Spoon about 1 cup stuffing mixture onto each fillet; roll fish around stuffing. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Top each with a lemon slice.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork and a thermometer inserted in the dressing reads 165°. Serve with fennel sauce.