VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (16 ounces) hot roll mix
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons fennel seed, crushed, divided
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 teaspoon 2% milk
- In a large bowl, combine contents of the roll mix and yeast packets with whole wheat flour and 1-1/2 teaspoons fennel seed. In a small saucepan, heat water and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add egg; beat until blended.
- Turn onto a floured surface. Knead in cheese until dough is smooth and elastic, about 4-6 minutes. Pat dough into a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 25 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Brush with milk and sprinkle with remaining fennel seed. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool 15 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Cut bread into four squares; cut each into three wedges. Yield: 1 loaf (12 slices).
Originally published as Fennel Seed Wheat Bread in Quick Cooking January/February 2004, p16