Fennel Seed Wheat Bread
"I enjoy all kinds of breads and rolls, but this square loaf is a favorite of mine because it is so different," explains Charlotte Kidd, Lebanon, Indiana. "The bread is also great cooked on the grill. Simply cover and grill it over medium heat for about 30 minutes."
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + rising Bake: 30 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (12 slices)
- 1 package (16 ounces) hot roll mix
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons fennel seed, crushed, divided
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 teaspoon 2% milk
- In a large bowl, combine contents of the roll mix and yeast packets with whole wheat flour and 1-1/2 teaspoons fennel seed. In a small saucepan, heat water and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add egg; beat until blended.
- Turn onto a floured surface. Knead in cheese until dough is smooth and elastic, about 4-6 minutes. Pat dough into a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 25 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Brush with milk and sprinkle with remaining fennel seed. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool 15 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Cut bread into four squares; cut each into three wedges.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 212 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 294mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Fennel Seed Wheat Bread in Quick Cooking January/February 2004