- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in 1 tablespoon sugar; let stand 5 minutes. Add the milk, shortening, eggs, salt, 3 cups flour and remaining sugar. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (mixture will be sticky). Do not knead. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 24 portions. Divide each portion into three pieces; shape each into a ball. Place three balls in each greased muffin cup. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-3/4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake 13-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews forFeatherlight Rolls
"I've made these rolls forever. family and friends always want me to bring them."
"Very good recipe, family loved the rolls"
"these turn out perfectly every time"
"these rolls are the best and the recipe is accurate, and simple to prepare! Thanks so much for them, we make them all the time."
"These are truly the best rolls in the world! You will not be disappointed. Also very simple to make."