Feathered Friend Cookies
The sky's the limit when you fix a flock of these tempting treats. Let your imagination soar as egg yolk glaze transforms plain sugar cookies into fanciful winged wonders.
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 to 6 large egg yolks
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons water
- paste or gel food coloring
- In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, sour cream and extracts. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate until easy to handle, about 1 hour.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a 4-in. bird cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- For each color of glaze, beat 1 egg yolk and 1/4 teaspoon water in a custard cup; tint with paste food coloring. Decorate cookies as desired. Bake at 375° until edges are lightly browned, 7-9 minutes. Cool for 1-2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
Editor's Note: Any sugar cookie dough can be used to make these cookies.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 178 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 194mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.