Feathered Friend Cookies
The sky's the limit when you fix a flock of these tempting treats. Let your imagination soar as egg yolk glaze transforms plain sugar cookies into fanciful winged wonders.
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 to 6 large egg yolks
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons water
- paste or gel food coloring
- In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, sour cream and extracts. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate until easy to handle, about 1 hour.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a 4-in. bird cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- For each color of glaze, beat 1 egg yolk and 1/4 teaspoon water in a custard cup; tint with paste food coloring. Decorate cookies as desired. Bake at 375° until edges are lightly browned, 7-9 minutes. Cool for 1-2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
Editor's Note: Any sugar cookie dough can be used to make these cookies.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 178 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 194mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Feathered Friend Cookies in Quick Cooking May/June 1999