Favorite Wild Rice Soup
I'm crazy about homemade soup during the fall and winter months. This wild rice soup is one of my favorite cool-weather experiments. —Deborah Williams, Peoria, Arizona
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup uncooked wild rice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 5 cups 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in wild rice and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until kernels are puffed open, 40-45 minutes.
- In a large heavy saucepan, heat butter over medium heat; saute onion and celery until tender, 5-7 minutes. Stir in flour, pepper and remaining salt until blended; gradually stir in milk and bouillon. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 2-3 minutes.
- Drain rice; add to soup. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 231 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 604mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Creamy Wild Rice Soup in Simple & Delicious October/November 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.