Favorite White Bread
Knowing how much I like to bake bread, an aunt shared this recipe with me. I enjoy making it on rainy days and giving the house a warm, homey feeling. —Nancy Perry, Sayre, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 35 min.
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each.)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 3 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 9 to 10 cups all-purpose flour
- Melted butter
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the egg, shortening, sugar, salt and 5 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 12-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- With a sharp knife, make five shallow diagonal slashes across the top of each loaf. Bake at 400° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Brush with butter.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 146 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 224mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.