Favorite Peach Pie
Brighten up a dark winter day with this sunshiny peach pie! The mouthwatering dessert from Margaret Hanson-Maddox of Montpelier, Indiana is yummy with a dollop of whipped cream. "This was one of my father's favorites."—Margaret Riley, Tallahassee, Florida
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) sliced peaches
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange zest
- Dash salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust; trim pastry even with edge. Drain peaches, reserving 1/3 cup juice. In a saucepan, combine the sugar, flour, lemon juice, orange zest, salt and reserved juice until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the butter and almond extract; stir until butter is melted. Stir in peaches. Cool slightly. Transfer to crust. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry.
- Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake 15-20 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator.