Favorite Meatball Sandwiches
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 2-1/4 hours
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1-1/2 cups stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Sliced mozzarella cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage, onion and green pepper until the sausage is browned and the vegetables are tender; drain. Add the remaining sauce ingredients; bring to a boil. cover and simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the first 8 meatball ingredients; crumble beef and sausage over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1 in. balls. Brown in oil; drain. Add to the sauce; cover and simmer for 2 hours. Serve on rolls. Top with cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 402 calories, 17g fat (5g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 913mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 4g fiber), 21g protein.
Aug 19, 2013
I make this at least every other week as we all love these meatballs and they just get better as leftovers. I serve with spaghetti & the sauce is just right. It is definitely a go-to recipe for potlucks as well as they are soooo good. The sausage really makes them excellent.
Dec 15, 2011
Excellent! Just as good without the sub rolls. All the sausage really gives it great extra flavor.
Nov 1, 2010
More Please!! I thought this did not look saucey enough...but it was perfect!! Will put this recipe in the "Family Cook Book."
Oct 19, 2010
These our for sure the best sandwiches. Thanks for the wonderful recipe. Definitely a keeper. Will be a "go-to" for years to come.
May 21, 2010
Easy to make, excellent flavor.
Sep 9, 2008
So good. My whole family loves it. It's hard to please everyone at once sometimes, but this dish does everytime I make it.