- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 pound ground beef
- TZATZIKI SAUCE:
- 1 cup (8 ounces) plain yogurt
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 whole pita breads
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 16 slices tomato
- 8 slices sweet onion, halved
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, garlic, oregano, kosher salt and pepper. Crumble lamb and beef over mixture; mix well.
- Pat into an ungreased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°. Cool completely on a wire rack. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- For sauce, in a small bowl, combine the yogurt, cucumber, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Brush pita breads with 1 tablespoon oil; heat on a lightly greased griddle for 1 minute on each side. Keep warm. Cut meat loaf into very thin slices. In a large skillet, fry meat loaf in remaining oil in batches until crisp.
- On each pita bread, layer the tomato, onion and meat loaf slices; top with some tzatziki sauce. Carefully fold pitas in half. Serve with remaining sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forFavorite Meat Loaf Gyros
"Excellent! I love getting gyros at the fairs, but they are now so expensive, I quit buying them. I found out why, lamb was $9 a pound! So, I substituted the lamb for ground turkey with 90% lean beef. (both were on sale!) I made everything the night before so the meat was easy to cut. Next time I will double the batch so I can have some handy in the freezer. After reading other reviews, my sauce came out a little runny, so I will strain it. Or maybe purchase, as some other folks did, since I could only find plain yogurt in a 32 ounce container. I did add dill to a portion of the sauce to taste the difference, while both were good, I preferred a little dill."
"Very good. I will definitely make this again. My only change was to use a mixed Greek spice(Greek Freak) in place of some of the oregano. The lamb flavor really came through, I baked this in a 9x13 pan, and used low fat ground beef, which helped decrease the fat, and I must admit, I used purchased tzatziki"
"I cannot recommend this recipe enough! Gyros is one dish I always thought was not feasible to make at home - at least a reasonably easy, very delicious version. I wish I had found this recipe years ago! I made the meatloaf the night before, strained off the pool of grease, and chilled overnight. I also strained the yogurt sauce overnight for a thicker sauce (or you could just use Greek yogurt if you also like it a bit thicker). Wonderful recipe!"
"These are going to be a regular meal from now on...very tasty and so easy to make."
"We love this in our household. ! Tasty Tasty Tasty !!!!!!"
"This was great! Unbelievably simple to make although, you definitely need to plan ahead to accommodate the cooling and chilling time. Next time I'll make my own pita bread as well, the store bought ones were too tough. I will definitely be making this again and again!"
"This was very good. Lamb is very expensive so the addition of beef helped (I used grass fed). The sauce as stated was good (without the addition of dill as some suggested). The second time we had this I added fresh cilantro which made a big difference to me whether I'd make this again or not."
"This tasted wonderful and was very easy to make. I love Gyros sandwiches so it was great to find an easy , healthy way to make the Gyros meat. I highly recommend it. If you don't like plain yogurt, use sour cream, but it's not the same. I couldn't find any plain yogurt in the regular kind so used Greek yogurt."
"@muraskm, sour cream is the other generally accepted base for the tzatziki sauce."