Favorite Meat Loaf Gyros Recipe
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 pound ground beef
- TZATZIKI SAUCE:
- 1 cup (8 ounces) plain yogurt
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 whole pita breads
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 16 slices tomato
- 8 slices sweet onion, halved
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the egg, garlic, oregano, kosher salt and pepper. Crumble lamb and beef over mixture; mix well.
- 2. Pat into an ungreased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°. Cool completely on a wire rack. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- 3. For sauce, in a small bowl, combine the yogurt, cucumber, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- 4. Brush pita breads with 1 tablespoon oil; heat on a lightly greased griddle for 1 minute on each side. Keep warm. Cut meat loaf into very thin slices. In a large skillet, fry meat loaf in remaining oil in batches until crisp.
- 5. On each pita bread, layer the tomato, onion and meat loaf slices; top with some tzatziki sauce. Carefully fold pitas in half. Serve with remaining sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Favorite Meat Loaf Gyros
"Very good. I will definitely make this again. My only change was to use a mixed Greek spice(Greek Freak) in place of some of the oregano. The lamb flavor really came through, I baked this in a 9x13 pan, and used low fat ground beef, which helped decrease the fat, and I must admit, I used purchased tzatziki"
"I cannot recommend this recipe enough! Gyros is one dish I always thought was not feasible to make at home - at least a reasonably easy, very delicious version. I wish I had found this recipe years ago! I made the meatloaf the night before, strained off the pool of grease, and chilled overnight. I also strained the yogurt sauce overnight for a thicker sauce (or you could just use Greek yogurt if you also like it a bit thicker). Wonderful recipe!"
"These are going to be a regular meal from now on...very tasty and so easy to make."
"We love this in our household. ! Tasty Tasty Tasty !!!!!!"
"This was great! Unbelievably simple to make although, you definitely need to plan ahead to accommodate the cooling and chilling time. Next time I'll make my own pita bread as well, the store bought ones were too tough. I will definitely be making this again and again!"
"This was very good. Lamb is very expensive so the addition of beef helped (I used grass fed). The sauce as stated was good (without the addition of dill as some suggested). The second time we had this I added fresh cilantro which made a big difference to me whether I'd make this again or not."
"This tasted wonderful and was very easy to make. I love Gyros sandwiches so it was great to find an easy , healthy way to make the Gyros meat. I highly recommend it. If you don't like plain yogurt, use sour cream, but it's not the same. I couldn't find any plain yogurt in the regular kind so used Greek yogurt."
"@muraskm, sour cream is the other generally accepted base for the tzatziki sauce."
"I haven't made it since I do like gyro meat a lot and meatloaf unless you used the seasonings of gyro meat just wouldn't peak the nose and tastebuds. Thank you "dancingfool" for saying it tasted close to gyro meat. I am going to try it. The picture is a perfect looking sandwich/gyro."
"If one does not like yogurt, what could I use instead?"
"You no longer give nutritional values. I miss this and would like you to provide them."
"Great recipe! But....you forgot the dill weed in the tzaski sauce. About 2 teaspoons"
"This recipe was easy and so delicious! Family favorite. Thanks for sharing this!"
"The meat was delicious, tastes almost like a real gyro! I did the sauce with Greek yogurt and added dill, made the sauce much better! Will definitely make again...and again!"
"This was ok, but I felt like the meat was missing something. Maybe a bit more seasoning? I didn't add oil when I fried the slices. I added a dash of dill and cumin to the sauce and I used Greek yogurt. The sauce was tasty."
"The family really enjoyed this!"
"Very yummy! The hubby requests this one quite a bit. Makes a big batch-leftovers plus quite a bit to freeze for future meals! The best recipe I have found!!!"
"Great recipe... I used a blender to purify the cucumbers. Also, I think next time I'll use plain GREEK yogurt rather than just regular yogurt (it's a little thicker)."
"This is quite time consuming, but worth every minute!!"
"WOW!..deeeeeeeeelicious...tasted almost like the real thing....freinds went nuts over it!!!!"
"This is a wonderful recipe that I have made several times. My daughter loves it. It reheats great so leftovers are a good as the original."
"One of our favorites! I substituted 6 tablespoons fresh oregano for the 3 tablespoons dried, and I think I like them even better that way!"
"This tastes very much like the original greek version. I only use lean ground beef and it comes out great! My husband loves it."
"Excellent for @ home version! Tzatziki needs something though, still very good!"
"If I could give 10 stars I would. This recipe very close to an authentic greek gyro."