- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef or vegetable broth
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute the mushrooms, onion, garlic, tarragon and nutmeg in butter until vegetables are tender. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add broth; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low; slowly add sour cream. Cook and stir until smooth. Stir in cream and milk. Add lemon juice, hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper. Heat through but do not boil. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forFavorite Marvelous Mushroom Soup
"I just made this soup for dinner last night and it was a huge success! I used 2 pounds of mushrooms (1 pound white button and 1 pound baby bella) since we are such huge mushroom fans! I also used only 1 can of beef broth (instead of 2) and used half and half for the rest of the liquids (2nd can of beef broth and evaporated milk) called for in the recipe plus and extra 1/2 cup. To thicken, I used 1/3 cup flour instead of 1/4 cup. Lastly, instead of salt, I used 1 envelope of beef boullion. The sour cream, freshly grated nutmeg and dried tarragon took the finished soup to the "next level". I'm thinking this soup should be re-named "Rich and Creamy Mushroom Stroganoff Chowder"!! 5 stars for sure! TRULY A MUSHROOM LOVERS DREAM!!"
"This was excellent!"
"Doubled the mushrooms, used 1 cup total 1/2 & 1/2 instead of evaporated milk and added beef flavoring. Wouldn't use more spices than called for. Yummy! Definitely making again."
"My husband and I really enjoyed this tonight. Only modifications I made were: extra mushrooms, a little extra garlic and I used fresh tarragon. Served it with crusty bread. Yummy!"
"I agree that it needs more mushrooms, but this soup was absolutely delicious! My whole family enjoyed."
"I would also add more mushrooms next time, but the flavor is great! Definitely a keeper!"
"This soup is wonderful The only change I made was to add more mushrooms. Yum-yum."