Favorite Marshmallow Fruit Salad
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 package (16 ounces) large marshmallows, halved
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Place marshmallows in a large bowl; set aside. In a saucepan, whisk the egg yolks, milk and mustard. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture reaches 160° and coasts the back of a metal spoon. Cool for 5 minutes. Stir into marshmallows.
- In a bowl, beat the cream, confectioners' sugar and vanilla on medium speed until soft peaks form. Fold into marshmallow mixture. Add fruit; gently toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Just before serving, stir in pecans.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 203 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 24mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Mar 29, 2015
The recipe calls for 1/4 tsp. ground mustard. Is this the powdered (spice section) mustard or is it the prepared mustard that you use on hot dogs, etc? Thanks.........
Jun 3, 2009
Took this to a graduation party and got rave reviews. The salad tasted just a little tart to me, so I just added a little more confectioners' sugar. It turned out great!
Apr 18, 2008
Thank you jeanbeatty, I like your recipe better. Sue
Apr 18, 2008
I make this same recipe, only I use 16 oz sour cream instead of heavy cream, and let it sit over night.