Favorite Marinated Brisket
I've made this recipe for years. Words I hear whenever I serve it are "Yummy!" and "Pass the brisket, please!" —Terri Singer, Ottawa, Ontario
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + marinating Bake: 2-1/2 hours
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 fresh beef brisket (3 pounds)
- 3 cups water
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) chili sauce
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-in. pieces
- Mix first five ingredients; rub over brisket. Mix water, chili sauce, soy sauce and syrup; pour 2-1/2 cups into a large resealable plastic bag. Add brisket; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place onions in an ovenproof Dutch oven. Drain beef, discarding marinade in bag. Place brisket over onions; arrange potatoes around meat. Pour remaining marinade over the top.
- Bake, covered, until meat is tender, 2-1/2 to 3 hours. Remove brisket and potatoes to a serving plate. Skim fat from cooking juices. Cut diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Serve meat and potatoes with cooking juices.
Freeze option: Using a slotted spoon, remove vegetables to a bowl to cool. Transfer whole brisket and cooking juices to a greased 13x9-in. dish; cool completely. Add vegetables. Cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Reheat brisket and vegetables, covered, until a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°, about 1 hour. Thinly slice meat across the grain. Serve meat and potatoes with cooking juices.