Favorite Marinated Brisket
I've made this recipe for years. Words I hear whenever I serve it are "Yummy!" and "Pass the brisket, please!" —Terri Singer, Ottawa, Ontario
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + marinating Bake: 2-1/2 hours
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 fresh beef brisket (3 pounds)
- 3 cups water
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) chili sauce
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-in. pieces
- Mix first five ingredients; rub over brisket. Mix water, chili sauce, soy sauce and syrup; pour 2-1/2 cups into a large resealable plastic bag. Add brisket; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place onions in an ovenproof Dutch oven. Drain beef, discarding marinade in bag. Place brisket over onions; arrange potatoes around meat. Pour remaining marinade over the top.
- Bake, covered, until meat is tender, 2-1/2 to 3 hours. Remove brisket and potatoes to a serving plate. Skim fat from cooking juices. Cut diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Serve meat and potatoes with cooking juices.
Freeze option: Using a slotted spoon, remove vegetables to a bowl to cool. Transfer whole brisket and cooking juices to a greased 13x9-in. dish; cool completely. Add vegetables. Cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Reheat brisket and vegetables, covered, until a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°, about 1 hour. Thinly slice meat across the grain. Serve meat and potatoes with cooking juices.
Editor's NoteThis is a fresh beef brisket, not corned beef.
Nutrition Facts5 ounces cooked beef with 3/4 cup vegetables and 2 tablespoons cooking juices: 426 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 1491mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 4g fiber), 40g protein.
Originally published as Favorite Marinated Brisket in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2017