Favorite Italian Wedding Soup Recipe
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 4-1/2 teaspoons ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1. In a large bowl, combine eggs and bread crumbs. Crumble beef and sausage over mixture and mix well. Shape into 3/4-in. balls.
- 2. Place meatballs on a greased rack in a foil-lined 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until no longer pink.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute the carrots, celery and onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, spinach, basil, soup mix, ketchup, thyme and bay leaves.
- 4. Drain meatballs on paper towels. Bring soup to a boil; add meatballs. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Add pasta; cook 13-15 minutes longer or until pasta is tender, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1 cup: 379 calories, 24g fat (8g saturated fat), 107mg cholesterol, 1016mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 21g protein.
Reviews for Favorite Italian Wedding Soup
"This soup is soo pleasing on a cold winter day!!!"
"Excellent, I made as written. Next time, I would add more broth and try a smaller pasta."
"My family and I really loved this soup! So hearty and flavorful!"
"So delicious! I followed the recipe mostly. The only thing I did differently was that I used fresh baby spinach and about five cloves of garlic (personal preference). Best soup ever!"
"This has been one of my family's favorite TOH recipes since it first came out a few years ago. I have made it for our annual soup and sandwich Halloween party for the past few years and am asked for the recipe every year. I have seen several other Italian Wedding soup recipes grace the magazine's pages over the years, but this one is so perfect that I just can't bear to try any of the others. I can't imagine anything can top this keeper!"
"I've made the soup several times now and everyone loves it!! For a short cut, I bought a 2lb bag of mini frozen meatballs before and it worked great. Throwing in some tortellini, also great for a change."
"This soup is delicious!!! Best wedding soup I have tasted and my family loves it too. I have used the penne pasta but have also made it using acini di pepe also. The meatballs are awesome and worth it. This has definitely become one of my regular recipes that I will be making many times in the future."
"My family loves Italian wedding soup. Thanks for providing this delicious recipe. This was enough for my family of 6 to have 2 bowls each"
"Delicious. I am already looking forward to making it again and for the years to come."
"This soup is absolutely delicious.Even my picky husband liked it. It does take a LOT longer than 30 minutes to prepare. It takes at least that to roll out all of the little meatballs. I did not have fresh basil so I used about a Tablespoon of dried. I had fresh spinach on hand and used that and I had fresh sliced fresh mushrooms that needed to be used so I added those. I also did not have penne pasta so I used a cup of ditalani instead and it was plenty because pasta swells so in the cooking. It is well worth the trouble. SJS9"
"Excellent. Had fun making the little meatballs with my daughter and everyone loved the soup! Will definitely be making it again!"
"soup was wonderful very flavorable and definitly would make again...and again!"
"I used small shell pasta instead. They acted like little individual bowls to hold the broth. Yummy!"
"delicious - my family loved it!"
"Excellent! Just excellent!"
"very good. I had no fresh basil so i used 2 tsp of dried. turned out great!"
"Great recipe. I make it with turkey for the meatballs. The broth is so flavorful, you won't miss the fat from the meatballs."
"This was a BIG hit with my family. We fought over the leftovers. I used fresh spinach instead of frozen. For the meat, I used 1 pound hot sausage and one pound regular because I didn't have any Italian sausage. Next time I'll do as the recipe suggests and see if we like it as well. We probably will."
"Fantastic soup. I make it often and receive rave reviews every time. My favorite soup, EVER! Meatballs take some time to roll, but so worth the effort. I usually make double batch of meatballs, since I'm already spending the time to roll them, and freeze the extra batch so next time the soup is really quick! Recommend this recipe highly."
"This soup is great. My husband and my mother are both picky eaters and they love this. Making the meatballs can be labor intense, but so worth it."
"This soup is the best! My husband just loves it. We make it frequently."