Favorite Italian Wedding Soup
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 45 min.
Makes10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 4-1/2 teaspoons ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- In a large bowl, combine eggs and bread crumbs. Crumble beef and sausage over mixture and mix well. Shape into 3/4-in. balls.
- Place meatballs on a greased rack in a foil-lined 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute the carrots, celery and onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, spinach, basil, soup mix, ketchup, thyme and bay leaves.
- Drain meatballs on paper towels. Bring soup to a boil; add meatballs. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Add pasta; cook 13-15 minutes longer or until pasta is tender, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaves.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 379 calories, 24g fat (8g saturated fat), 107mg cholesterol, 1016mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 21g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 24, 2017
This soup is soo pleasing on a cold winter day!!!
Aug 18, 2016
Excellent, I made as written. Next time, I would add more broth and try a smaller pasta.
Jan 2, 2016
My family and I really loved this soup! So hearty and flavorful!
Sep 24, 2015
Delicious! I added 4 c water and 2 cups shredded cooked turkey. I substituted pre-made mini meatballs from my local grocer for the homemade meatballs (faaster) and 8 oz star-shaped pasta instead of penne.
May 18, 2015
So delicious! I followed the recipe mostly. The only thing I did differently was that I used fresh baby spinach and about five cloves of garlic (personal preference). Best soup ever!
Dec 2, 2014
This has been one of my family's favorite TOH recipes since it first came out a few years ago. I have made it for our annual soup and sandwich Halloween party for the past few years and am asked for the recipe every year. I have seen several other Italian Wedding Soup recipes grace the magazine's pages over the years, but this one is so perfect that I just can't bear to try any of the others. I can't imagine anything can top this keeper!
Nov 22, 2014
I've made the soup several times now and everyone loves it!! For a short cut, I bought a 2lb bag of mini frozen meatballs before and it worked great. Throwing in some tortellini, also great for a change.
Feb 22, 2014
This soup is delicious!!! Best wedding soup I have tasted and my family loves it too. I have used the penne pasta but have also made it using acini di pepe also. The meatballs are awesome and worth it. This has definitely become one of my regular recipes that I will be making many times in the future.
Jan 5, 2014
Used Acini di pepe instead of the penne and it was awesome! My boyfriend loved it!Also use the meatballs for pasta, love the mix if beef and pork.
Jan 5, 2013
My family loves Italian wedding soup. Thanks for providing this delicious recipe. This was enough for my family of 6 to have 2 bowls each