Favorite Italian Casserole
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 3 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 1 Italian sausage link, casing removed
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- Dash pepper
- 1 bacon strip, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 12 slices pepperoni
- Dash each dried oregano, thyme and basil
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, crumble sausage into a small skillet; add onion. Cook over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Drain spaghetti. Arrange zucchini in a shallow 1-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with pepper. Layer with bacon, Parmesan cheese, 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce, spaghetti, remaining sauce, red pepper, sausage mixture, mozzarella cheese and pepperoni.
- Sprinkle with herbs. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 356 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 1018mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 23g protein.
Jan 22, 2015
we like a little more meat so changed to 3 italian sausage links, my h usband loves this on a cold night!
Feb 8, 2013
Nice blend of flavors. My husband, who is very fussy, loved it. It seems complicated but really is not hard at all to make.
Jul 23, 2012
Wonderful dish with readily-available or easy-to-find ingredients. Good blend of flavors and ingredients. I allowed about an hour of prep time before baking. After 30 minutes of baking, DO turn down the oven to 200 just to keep it warm until you're ready to eat. 30 minutes was ample time to bake this dish. By adding more Italian sausage (using approx 1/2 lb) and a little more pasta and veggies this makes an ample dinner for two people for two nights. So glad I've held onto my Cooking for 2 magazines!
Nov 9, 2011
This was okay. I think you should bake it the minimum amount of time, maybe a little less so the cheese doesn't get so hard. It's a good combination of flavors. But it's a lot of time spent for a simple meal in my opinion.
Jun 19, 2010
This is a wonderful dish that I made several years ago from the recipe out of the magazine. I had lost the recipe and wanted to make it again. My husband and I love it.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.