Favorite Italian Beef Sandwiches
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1 jar (11-1/2 ounces) pepperoncini
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3-1/2 to 4 pounds)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1-3/4 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large onion, sliced and quartered
- 12 hard rolls, split
- Drain the pepperoncini, reserving liquid. Remove and discard stems of peppers; set peppers aside. Cut roast into large chunks; place a third of the meat in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add water.
- In a small bowl, combine the seasonings; sprinkle half over beef. Layer with half of the remaining meat, then the onion and pepperoncini. Pour pepperoncini liquid over the top. Add remaining meat to slow cooker; sprinkle with remaining seasonings.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until meat is tender. Shred beef with two forks. Using a slotted spoon, serve beef and peppers on rolls.
Editor's NoteLook for pepperoncini (pickled peppers) in the pickle and olive section of your grocery store.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 376 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 1132mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 31g protein.
Feb 9, 2018
Best beef recipe for the crockpot ever, it takes only a few minutes to put together, the meat was as soft as butter. The peppers, onions & spices were perfectly savory & added a bit of zip. I used half garlic powder & half roasted garlic powder & doubled the pepper. I removed the seeds from the peppers since I felt after cooking for 9 hours I thought it might get too spicy. It was delicious, pile up the meat with the peppers & onions on a bun. I will make this again & again. Thank you TOH for another keeper recipe.
Jan 12, 2018
I made this as is, and it was delicious, but a little dry which was my fault because I used a 3 lb beef roast straight from the freezer since I didn't have time to defrost it. So I pulled the beef, and then the next day put it all back into the crockpot and added a can of Italian diced tomatoes and cooked it on low for 2 1/2 hours. Oh YUM!!!
Jul 30, 2014
I cannot tell you how many times I have made this over the past 5 years and we love it every time! If you do not take care to remove the seeds when you are de-stemming, it can have quite a bit of kick. These go great with a macaroni or potato salad. Definitely one of our favorite slow cooker recipes.
Sep 10, 2012
Great meal for Sunday football! It was so easy to prepare and very delicious! The pepperoncinis gave this recipe a great Italian flavor. I would definitely make this again.
Feb 19, 2012
Very easy!!! Nice to come home to!
Sep 15, 2011
This has become our family's favorite Italian Beef sandwich! I typically freeze half of the beef to reheat on those busy days when cooking a meal from scratch is not an option. It reheats beautifully.
Aug 25, 2011
DELICIOUS! Have yet to find someone that doesn't love it!! Perfect for game day or family dinner! Tender and moist with fantastic flavor. Perfect as is, but can add more juice from the pepperoncinis to give it a little more spice! Great with french bread loves. My husband likes to put cheese on his as well. Even better reheated!
Jul 20, 2011
Very Delicious Sandwich!! Instead of using the whole pepperoncinis, I use the sliced. I also use a pkg. of Italian salad dressing mix! YUM!
Mar 26, 2011
This is truly delicious, but I add more water to lessen the acidity of the pepper juice, and also add 1 or 2 teaspoons of anise seed (depending on the size of the roast), so you'll get the REAL Italian flavor!!
Jan 20, 2011
Very good and loaded with flavor! Thanks for sharing.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.